Skip to main content

CAN'T SAY NO


My mom always used to say to me:
“Beta start saying NO to some people, it isn't wise to be the yes-sir man always”. I never paid much
heed to her advice and rather paid the price the other way. When I started my journey in UET, I joined
many societies because I knew I could never make 'my mark' from studying. Later on, it proved to be
a wrong decision. The hazards that I face every day cannotbe summarized, yet many of them that I
can avoid by saying one NO are:
When I go to university, one of my friends asks me to mark their proxy in any lecture or lab,
depending upon their intensity of sleep. Sometimes I get away with this easily, but when I get
caught up in the claws of raven, I mean to say instructor, it gets a bit nasty. Yet when I'm coming back
from the campus to my room, a friend asks me to accompany him to a route, of his alleged girlfriend;
I say ok and sit on a route with him. It takes us two hours to reach there, given the conditions of roads
and traffic of Rawalpindi and Islamabad. It makes my life worse as I travel like day-scholar and live
like broader. If in any case he doesn't want to go after her, he asks me to stroll here and there in the
university campus, which makes me tired.
When I reach back to my room, I'm asked by a senior to come to his room immediately for some
'society work', and it takes usually 2 hours to be completed. I fell exhausted when I take myself back
to my room and suddenly I get a call from another senior, to deal some matters about the
community. I get back to I-hall, thinking about my mother's advice. It takes almost an hour to 'deal'
with these issues when I finally unlock my room, and think of all the assignments, quizzes and vivas
of the next day. When I begin to start my work, a class-mate knocks my door and asks if I could help
him with the quiz and I, scornfully, say YES again.
In the end when I lay down on my bed, it is usually 3'o clock in the morning. Sometimes I think that all
this hectic and over-drive schedule can be turned into a much smoother schedule by simply saying a
NO to a couple of people. Yet, another day comes and the same routine carries on and on. This all
happens to me because either I don't listen to my mom or because I CAN'T SAY NO!

                                                                                                                      ZAID BIN FAROOQ
                                                                                                                              UET Taxila

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Most Unique Facebook Covers

Welcome to Smashing360 here you can find high quality Facebook covers, wallpapers for your Facebook profile; you can choose your new Facebook cover photo by clicking the cover that takes your fancy! You can either choose from our wide range of category menus. Facebook Covers 

English Love Poetry

INFORMATION ATTITUDE

'We live in the digital age, the age of information'. Such a cliché; not a day goes by when we don't read this sentence in a blog post, a newspaper article, or a simple Tweet. But really, attitudes toward information sharing differ from a place to another. While all of us may want access to information, or in it's more raw form, data, we are not always prepared to be the ones to share it. Institutions in some countries are willing to reach out to a global audience and communicate the knowledge they have gathered over their lifespan: the most famous perhaps being the edX initiative launched by the joint effort of MIT and Harvard University. The Khan Academy is another such online initiative wherein you can, as their website says, 'learn anything for free'.This is 'real' information sharing: sharing lectures, having discussions and even getting your queries clarified all in real-time is a mind boggling concept. And to me, nothing short of a sc...